A summary of the privacy risks of using TikTok were compiled in a comment by u/nightauthor.
- TikTok censors Tiananmen and Tibet references.
- TikTok Admits It Suppressed Videos by Disabled, Queer, and Fat Creators.
- TikTok has been accused of secretly gathering “vast quantities” of user data and sending it to servers in China.
- TikTok is paying the FTC a fine of $5.7 million for collecting the data of kids under 13.
- TikTok censors all reference to the Hong Kong protests.
- TikTok has had children as young as 8 targeted by sexual predators and police are urging parents to check the app privacy settings: Source 1, Source 2
- TikTok’s privacy page admits to collecting as much data as possible, from metadata, GPS location, and pulls all contact information on someone’s Facebook and Instagram (if connected) and phone, while allowing themselves to use this data for whatever they want.
- TikTok has been labeled a “threat to national security” by the USA government: Source 1, Source 2, Source 3
- TikTok is ban from US Navy mobile devices, as it’s been declared a cybersecurity threat.